Sweet Life

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Enjoy life today

While surfing Pinterest today I came across this quote:

It reminded me of a book that I think I need to get off the bookshelf and reread.  It's called The Precious Present by Spencer Johnson.  It's an amazing book that uses a story to remind me that today is precious and to live today for today.  Not to get caught in the trap that "When _____ is better/different then I'll be happy".  **Feel free to fill in the blank as you see fit**
 
I can be happy, fulfilled and joyous today.  Look for the little things in life and celebrate them!

I've tried a few things over the years to remember some of the great blessing in my life so I thought I would share them with you.

1. The ABC's.  This one is pretty east and straight forward .
A - Amber (my daughter)
B- Beautiful flowers in my yard
...you get the idea list one positive for each letter of the alphabet

2. Gratitude Journal: This one is just thinking of 3-5 things that you are grateful for each day.  There is a talk from General Conference a few years ago by Henry B Eyring.  He said one night he was inspired to start writing down blessing in his life.  Not just for himself but for his children and family to read about later.  Before he would write he would ask himself the question  “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?”  As he continued to do this he said "I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done."  

I have totally found this to be the case in my life.  My sister-in-law Phyllis once told me to have a positive outlook on life and to see the good.  She challenged me to say "People do nice things for me and I let them" each day and see what happened.  It was amazing!! If some let me in traffic on the way to work I would think wow! people really do, do nice things for me.  If someone held the door or elevator for me...same thing.  Just putting that thought into my head helped me to look for the good that is around me.  

Life Changing!


3. Count Your Many Blessings. This book by Elaine Cannon challenges the reader to write down 100 blessings in your life.  The first 25-30 are easy.  The last 25 are a little bit of a challenge and if you have to really dig.  Which is good.  I always feel very blessed by the time I finish. 















No comments:

Post a Comment